dylan severn valley

Several members from Lampeter and district motor club headed down to Builth Wells on the 4th of June to tackle the Midland Manor motor club organised Severn Valley Stages, which included some 45 miles of stages in the forests of Powys, made up of 7 stages, which included Crychan, Radnor and Cefn Llwydo.


In car 4 (but running 3rd on the road) were Dylan Davies out in his usual Subaru Impreza partnered by Mark Glennester, not far behind at car 9 were Thomas Davies with Eurig Davies in the co driver’s seat of the Ford Fiesta R5. At 17 were the regular pairing of Andy Davies and Max Freeman in their Impreza, 29 saw Meirion Evans and Jonathon Jackson in their Ford fiesta.

Gwibedog 1 was the first stage of the day and all club members were immediately on the pace with Andy and Max posting the 4th fastest time, Dylan and Mark achieving an excellent 8th, and Thomas and Eurig 19th, and down in Joint 32nd were Meirion and Jonathon.

The next 2 stages were Crychan 1 and Cefn will all crews doing very well and maintaining excellent times, but sadly for Andy and Max their rally was to come to an end after stage 3 as their Impreza lost fuel pressure, with Andy taking the wise decision to pull out rather than risk damaging the car, but both crew have already promised to come back stronger!

Stage 4 was Radnor which was followed by a service, which sadly saw the end of the Thomas Davies and Eurig Davies' rally as the power steering failed on the fiesta, forcing them into retirement.

As the rally continued Dylan and Mark continued to put in impressive times over the stages, as did Meirion and Jonathon, with both crews climbing up the leader board, Dylan going on to finish and excellent 4th overall. This giving Dylan some much needed points for his Welsh Forest championship bid. Meirion climbed up to a very respectable 20th in the little fiesta.

With the next rally being the Carlisle stages which is the fifth round of the BTRDA rally championship the following weekend which should see members battling it out again.

Many thanks to Tudor Evans for the use of his photograph for this report.