arthur preseli

Arthur and Martin splash their way top a top 30 placing on the Bro Preseli (Aled Evans Photography) 


Teifi Valley motor club held their novice rally, the Bro Preseli over the 26th and 27th. This very popular 75 mile event saw a couple of entries from Lampeter and district members among the 62 car entry down in Crymych. Andrew Davies was at number 15, he would be navigating for Paul Hands in a Honda civic type R. Also competing was Arthur Jones, who would be accompanied by Martin Haynes in a Ford fiesta, Arthur had decided at the last minute to convert his road going fiesta into a rally car in three days leading up to the event. It would also be Martin’s first time navigating in a few years. They were given start number 47. 

This was to be a relatively short rally with no petrol halt at half time. A short section started the rally off and everyone picked up penalties here. Paul and Andrew got off to an excellent start as they only picked up 46 seconds here. Arthur and Martin managed to stop the clock on 3 minutes and 1 second. 

The next section north from Llandissilio and was the longest of the event with 10 time controls located along the length. At Time control 1 Paul and Andrew set another excellent time of 31 seconds, and Arthur and Martin achieved a time of 2 minutes and 1 second. On to Time control 3 where Paul and Andrew continued to set an excellent pace and achieved a time of 53 seconds, Arthur and Martin were still going well on and 2 minutes and 59 seconds here. Time control 4 was also tight, unfortunately here Paul and Andrew got stuck in a ditch and lost 13 minutes, a great shame as they were in fact leading the rally up to that point. Arthur and Martin managed 2 minutes and 8 seconds here at Time control 4. Time controls 2 and 5 2 were passed by without gaining any lateness penalties.

Paul and Andrew got going again and carried on for the enjoyment and to get some seat time in the car. At Time control 6 they achieved a penalty count of 1 minute and 23 seconds, where Arthur and Martin gained 2 minutes and 26 penalties but again passed through Time control 7 without picking up any penalties. Paul and Andrew passed through Time control 8 without picking up penalties, where Arthur and Martin achieved a time of 2 minutes and 3 seconds. Sadly after here Paul and Andrew’s rally came to a premature halt, on a not as map triangle by passage control 20 the car cut out and would not refire, ending what had been a good rally up to that point. Time control 10 was the last one of this section and was located near Dinas Cross. Here Arthur and Martin managed a time of 4 minutes and 16 seconds.

Another tricky section followed that began south of Newport and looped down via Henllys Castle. There were many tight sections included here where penalties were gained. This was followed by two more sections to finish the event where the competitors headed back to Crymych. At the finish Arthur and Martin finished in a very respectable twenty third overall and thirteenth in the novice class with a total penalty count of 39 minutes and 49 seconds. Arthur would like to thank his father for helping prepare the car and to Martin for navigation duties

Sunday the 27th of March saw the Forresters car club organised Marshall & Hicks print Tour of caerwent take place on the MOD training ground. This event would be the first round of the Welsh tarmac rally championship. The rally consisted of 6 stages giving some fifty miles for competitors to enjoy.

There were a few Lampeter and district motor club members on the entry list, with the first being Wayne “tar” Jones and Jonathan Davies in Wayne’s recently purchased Darrian GTR. They were given number 16. Next up was James Davies in his Proton Compact GTI, for this event James was partnered by Fiona Crump, they would start at number 50. At 62 were Kevin Davies and Owen Rowcliffe in Kevin’s familiar Peugeot 206 GTI. 

On the opening stage of the day it was Wayne and Jonathan showing everyone up as they set the fastest stage time among many more experienced competitors with a time of 12 minutes and 32 seconds, they opened a narrow lead of 2 seconds here. On the second stage they were once again impressive. Setting a time of 12 minutes and 2 seconds. This meant they held third overall after the first pair of stages. James and Fiona got off to a great start as well in their Proton, setting times of 13 minutes 40 and 13 minutes 10 on the two opening stages. They lay in twenty-second overall. Kevin and Owen held sixty-second overall after the opening stages with times of 14 minutes and 31 seconds plus 17 minutes and 1 second.

The third stage followed and again Wayne and Jonathan set an excellent pace in their Darrian, still holding third overall with a time of 11 minutes and 6 seconds. James and Fiona were getting into the swing of things as they climbed to eighteenth overall with their time of 12 minutes and 15 seconds. Kevin and Owen improved greatly on stage 3 and were now holding fiftieth after setting a time of 12 minutes and 47 seconds. As it stood Wayne and Jonathan’s total time was 35 minutes and 40 seconds, James and Fiona’s were on 39 minutes and 9 seconds, and Kevin and Owen were on 44 minutes and 19 seconds. 

Stage 4 soon followed and once again Wayne and Jonathan set an excellent time, keeping hold of their third place position here. James and Fiona were really pushing and went and found themselves breaking into the top fifteen with fourteenth overall after this fourth stage. Kevin and Owen climbed again and now lay in forty-fourth. 

Two stages left to run and the fifth stage of the event was slightly shorter than previous. Even so Wayne and Jonathan were set an excellent 6 minutes and 42 seconds over it. Unfortunately James and Fiona’s rally came to an end on the fifth stage as the drive shaft of their proton sheared, forcing their retirement. It was a great shame as they had been setting excellent times, mixing with far more powerful cars, as well as being James' first time at Caerwent, with a new navigator. Kevin and Owen broke into the top forty as they found themselves in thirty eighth overall with one stage to go.

On the final stage of the event Wayne and Jonathan set the second fastest time with 6 minutes and 30 seconds, this meant that they finished the event in an excellent third overall and second in class with a total time of 59 minutes and 50 seconds. It had been an excellent day for them setting some astonishing times against more experienced crews. Kevin and Owen climbed one more place to finish in a very respectable thirty seventh overall.

With thanks to Aled Evans Photography for the use of their image for this report.